01384 262323 (9am - 8pm, Mon - Fri)


If any question you might have is not answered here, please send us an email and we will reply within a maximum of 24 hours.


1)      I paid a deposit in cash and don’t have a receipt, can I still apply for the refund and compensation?

Answer. Yes, we will still take on your case. Simply complete the information on the contact form. Just because you paid in cash, it does not mean you are not entitled to its return, if your landlord has not insured it.

2)      I’m in dispute with my landlord with regards to the return of my deposit, can I still apply?

Answer. Yes, the fact that your deposit is not insured is separate in the eyes of the law from any other dispute.

3)      I rented a property and paid a deposit with 2 other people, can I still apply?

Answer. Yes, you will have to confirm with the other people who are named on the tenancy and who contributed to the deposit that they are happy for you to apply.

4)      I’m still in the rented property and my deposit is not insured, can I still apply?

Answer. Yes, although it may be better for landlord/tenant relations to wait until you have vacated, as once you have vacated the chances of securing compensation are improved.

5)      I’m a student in rented accommodation and my parents (or other relative) paid the deposit for me, should I apply?

Answer. Yes. However, although the contact form can still be completed by you, it needs the details of those who are named on the tenancy, not by the person who paid the deposit.

6)      What is the maximum amount of compensation I could receive?

Answer. The maximum amount is 3 times the deposit you paid for each breach, plus the return of your original deposit. In addition the judge may also award a sum to cover legal costs. Please read the terms and conditions for more details. If we recover your deposit and achieve compensation, our fee is 1/3 of the the value of all monies we recover for you.

7)      How long does the process take?

Answer. The process will start 30 days after you have vacated the property. In some cases the landlord realises that he/she has broken the law and compromise straight away. Others will proceed to court and this might take up to a couple of months. Under these circumstances we will continue to pursue your claim if we believe the chances of securing a positive outcome are good.

Share this page with your friends...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook